Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Treadmill Workouts when the weather sucks!

I love going to the gym but since I joined Team Challenge and have been running more outside I love that way more! I never realized how boring being on a treadmill could be!



I found this great article on Yahoo Shine: How To Get the Best Results on a Treadmill

Here are the 6 Steps they want you to follow.
1. Set a Time Goal
2. Set a Schedule for frequency
3. Establish a challenging baseline pace
4. Increase your speed over time
5. Increase your incline
6. Identify and maintain your target heart rate

I am happy to say that I do some of these things already! I mean running on a treadmill is not the greatest because sometimes the impact on my knees and ankles can really hurt BUT its great because you can use it no matter what the weather is and then also do other workouts at the gym like weights.

My gym (24 hour fitness) also has treadmills where there are individual TV sets which makes it great to watch Oprah or a Laker game ;) Make sure to stay focused tho! When I lose focus I realize I am not working out nearly as hard as I could.

My goal on a treadmill is distance. I try to increase the distance by half a mile or a mile each week to challenge myself. I'm less focused on time than on longevity since I'm training to run this 13.1 mile beast in July.

Do you guys prefer treadmill or running outside? What are the pros and cons of each?

No comments:

Post a Comment